Barbados

27oct23-The-old-Mobile-oil-refinery.jpg
Barbados, Barbados Today, Inglês
2026-05-19 12:09:13
0 A comprehensive new field assessment of the former Mobil Oil Refinery site at Needham’s Point has been completed, as the government renews efforts to transform the contaminated area into productive use, Barbados TODAY can reveal. The work, which was done last month, sought to gauge the scale of contamination of the ground by leaked oil, Minister of Energy Kerrie Symmonds said on Monday. The assessment “included the gathering and assessment of sub surface information, so as to identify the extent, if any, of seepage and possible subsurface spread,” he said. “A site characterisation study is currently being prepared for the ministry with regard to its current condition.” Works are also scheduled to be conducted on the old oil tanks and “once that process is finished, recommendations will follow”, he added. The contamination issue dates back to the refinery’s closure a quarter-century ago, with evidence of crude oil pollution raising...
Translate »